Saturday, July 30, 2011

Children Cross Stitch and Bead: Moving time is here


Click to enlarge photos
     Keeping the grandchildren busy will be interesting. For the moment, they are at the pool and diving off the board. I had picked up a cross stitch sampler kit for Hannah and a purse of glass beads for Erika. Both were busy and content for hours. Last night I showed Hannah a book of samplers made by little girls and the kit says cross stitch goes back to Egyptian times. I suggested she do one letter to see if she should wait a year until she is 8. But she found it easier than I did. Erika whipped out a lot of rings and bracelets, but stepped on her needle. She wasn't crazy about needles before this and is less so now!

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful pastime as well as nurtured skills for a lifetime. You have these darling grandaughters building on artistic approaches to creativity that you have taught them. Soon they will be teaching YOU things :). ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! I think it's great that they each have something special to do that just for them individually. You're a super grandmother! Enjoy this time with them. They'll be in their new digs before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely girls! The left picture of Erika doesn't want to enlarge. Wonder why. Sorry about Erika stepping on the needle. Bless her heart! I don't like needles either. We are all going to miss your grandcildren. You do so many great things with them and take such great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trilla said: You bring back wonderful memories of my two grandmothers. One taught me to knit, the other to crochet. Like a laser my memory returns to how loved I felt cuddled next to my Mom Beeman tangled in yarn and needles. And her eternal patience.
    You are building wonderful memories for these granddaughters. You are three fortunate girls to have these to share. TP

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are Super Granny, that's for sure! I think my granddaughter Lia did some cross stitch in Brownies or some other group, but I might reintroduce her to it when she's here soon. Sorry about the needle mishap and Erika! I'll never forget the time a few years ago when I sewed through a finger on the sewing machine; makes me mildly ill just to think about it! And someday I'll tell you another needle story about my father as a child. They can truly be scary!

    ReplyDelete