Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Boil the water: a journal quilt


One day, people east of Weston, MA were told not to drink the water unless you boil it. A major water pipe had burst and a back-up plan was still in the works. Bottled water was provided by towns. It was sobering to think how to wash the lettuce, remember not to let grandchildren suck on bathtub washcloths, and throw out the ice in the fridge. People bought cases of water. Repairs were made within a few days.

I wanted to make a journal quilt of lines of plastic bottles (there is a fusible vinyl, of all things) standing in for long lines of people which seemed silly to me since one could easily boil the water and use caution. I was going to have flames under the silver pot. All of this I did not do but kept the background of thousands of houses affected, houses with surprise on their faces.

[I returned to add some imperfect handles, fusing bits of silver ribbon; because I wanted balance for all that hot water!]

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE this journal quilt -- so aptly portrays what you are wanting to show. Rooftops are a favorite site for me. Once in England - at Pately Bridge - we were staying in a house that looked out over roof tops much like these in your quilt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "surprised look" on the houses is perfect. Your quilts so aptly convey the stories they're meant to tell, and that's a special talent, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the houses too. In fact I love the whole concept. Very clever. Where did you find that fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I purchased that house fabric at Ben Franklin! I need to put handles on that pot, on both sides and bead some of the drops of water.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever and colorful! You DO find the best fabrics! Love this one.

    ReplyDelete