Saturday, October 6, 2012

Painting in the studio: Landscape memories


     On my 50th birthday, this former English and history teacher went to art school for her 7th life. I painted dawn to dusk daily. Many of my paintings are at my website LindaHicksweb.com. Lately, however, I have been quilting and working in a variety of crafts encouraged by involvement with grandchildren.


     Down in my basement studio, I pulled out some little 4" x 4" canvases and my Winsor Newton Griffin fast-drying alkyd paints. In about 1 1/2 hours I painted three little vignettes from our recent trip to Maine.

      It may look like it, but I just sloshed around the oils with a little turpentine and bits of medium. I then painted skies, trees and grounds while thinking of Maine and some sketches of sites I had seen while on the road. I want to do several more memories until I run out of compositions or moods and then I can quilt them for handwork on road trips.





    Joe wanted me to do a small portrait of grandson. I felt I had just begun; but he told me to stop...it was finished. Hope David doesn't mind looking jaundiced! I am loving being back in the studio while I read The Man with a Blue Scarf: On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucien Freud



10 comments:

  1. Yea for you! I like the wrap-around canvases and the trip tic idea.
    Love the portrait. So animated! N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I love your paintings. The portrait--Joe is right--the story is all there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful portrait of David. KB

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Joe...The portrait is full of life and personality and needs nothing more.
    Love U, my talented friend,
    Ruth Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, you are such fun! Thanks for having all that talent and for sharing it with your friends, also talented OR NOT! I love the small Maine paintings but the one of David is THE BEST. ss

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your studio is awesome. Looks so light. Love it. As I said before, I love your swirly landscapes! David is the cutest, and what personality is revealed in this portrait! NM

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all of these! It was fun to hear about your anniversary trip and now to see scenes from your time by the water. And, the picture of your grandson has captured his wide-eyed approach to exploring everything in the world around him and taking it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The paintings are beautiful, Linda. I can't wait to see how you turn them into quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David does NOT look jaundiced! I think the portrait is charming. I have already raved on and on about the little Maine scenes, but I will once again: I love them and I am so delighted that you are back into painting, though I do hope you keep one foot in quilting, as it is so much fun to have an old compatriot to share quilting with! And I do take a modicum of credit for having gotten you interested in quilting, though you might think otherwise! But never will I forget the time I brought unfinished doll quilts as "hostess gifts" for your granddaughters. You and I had such fun machine quilting them and I think you then bound them for me. I was so amazed at how BRAVE you were to jump in with both feet to machine quilting! (funny, my feet references here, as if we still used treadle machines!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are amazing!!! Also you must have a lot of fun! nancy

    ReplyDelete