Friday, September 28, 2012

Monkey Sees, Monkey Does: a new small quilt plus

    Are you going back to school this busy September;  or are you always learning new things. I try to take some new workshop usually, so I got busy with what Sue Martell and Jo Diggs taught me. The last time I saw Betsy, she asked if I had started making Maine landscapes (I reported on hers August 18) and I took her hint to do a Jo Diggs workshop. Jo Diggs is a master applique landscape fabric artist.

    So I loosely cut out the fabric Sue encouraged me to buy in her sister's shop, and all but copied one of Sue's on the drive to NYC. All I did was layer fabric over muslin and started at the top, adding shapes on, to pin the shapes down. I whipstitched the seam allowances under the main shapes with silk thread that Jo says lies flatter. There are sky, rock, water, tree, plant and sand fabrics available; but you can paint your own white or muslin fabrics with fabric paints so that the fabrics remain soft. I like applique in that you can do it on a car ride or in front of tv news and you don't need a sewing machine. I feel romantic toward hand stitching...all of those little stitches.


     However, when I returned home, I became a monster. I couldn't bear to go slowly...so much to do! Whereas Jo Diggs puts mats around her landscapes, I wanted fabric borders and had to get out a sewing machine to add a twig fabric from The City Quilter. I dug in my bias tape drawer for white and cream. I didn't want machine stitches to show so I used Stitch Witchery on the inner frame and a sewing machine and backside whipstitch on the white outer frame. I messed up a bit (fusible dirtying my borders, messing up my iron) trying to go so fast, but the fabric picture is ok as a memory of trip to Maine on our 50th...not so perfect as Sue's or Jo's,  but one step in learning a new technique.

photo I took of a Jo Diggs landscape...note the reflections 
    

7 comments:

  1. I'd seen an earlier version of your quilt, but I LOVE how you finished it! This is most dramatic. You did such an excellent job on those trees and the foreground from which the trees are growing. Just lovely! The sky is dramatic, too, as are the varied-colored mountains or hills. I love how you can see land at the mid-distance, too. Your knowledge of painting really shows through in this composition. The Jo Diggs landscape is lovely, too, and you're right--the refections: outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ditto everything Alice says. I love the landscape. So crisp. The water, the sky, the birch. The Diggs landscape is also dramatic. Lovely momento of your 50th trip to Maine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the quilted montage. Having no skills for needlework, I continue to be amazed at your talent. It could be a watercolor, couldn't it? A great way to remember your visit to Maine and your anniversary. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I join the other commenters--'glowing' is indeed the perfect description. As another non-needler, I am amazed at how you convert your painting skill into another medium.

    I also admire your punctual blog posts. I blush~

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's beautiful. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's almost like an image in a mirror. I love the border and yes, it does remind me of your trip that I "experienced" through your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the BESt comment, but Google stole it. Suffice it to say that I DITTO all the above comments and think all this work is LOVELY. ss

    ReplyDelete