Sunday, January 22, 2012

Wild Winter Weekend: building and sewing


Dianne Hire's classroom guides
    The grandchildren dropped in on a busy weekend. I had an all day workshop with the fabulous Dianne S. Hire learning about her Curvaceous Curves (not pictured) and her Railroad Borders. All the while, Joe was watching the children as they built a snow man with limited materials. The relatives were here from out of town, visiting with old friends in segments, attending a birthday party.
click all photos to enlarge

     Today,  7 year old Hannah tried out her Janome Hello Kitty sewing machine I bought her when she was 4 years old (a little eager here). First she stitched a straight stitch maze and then a little snowman container. She made a doggy paw pillow, turning it to finish with invisible stitching. When I suggested she take out the pins before stitching over them, she asked why she couldn't pin to the side to not worry. A little child shall lead.

8 comments:

  1. Go! Go! Go! When have we had more fun? I spent the morning--remember, we're in Houston where it's 74 degrees--gardening with my 10-year-old grandson. He let me have it for not composing for my city container garden. Guess what I'm acquiring before he's here next Saturday?
    Can't remember when I last built a snowman. Oh, memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that I see 7 year old Hannah stitching away on her Hello Kitty, I guess it is time I take 11 year old Lia's machine to her! It's been "living" at my house forever, but at Easter, I'll take it along with me. I have Dianne Hire's book QUILTERS PLAYTIME; GAMES WITH FABRICS, and at one point, I started working thru it, planning to play all of her "games." I bogged down on the first and never went back to it. But I love her work--I bought the book after seeing a quilt of hers in Houston--and you inspire me now to get back to playtime. Sooo...this post inspires me on two different fronts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alice, remember you mailed me Dianne's book when I first started quilting. Yesterday I told the class they must not overlook it! Dianne was the most personable leader of a workshop. I told her you want to get her to Texas and she said, in her Tennessee accent, "Good! Tell them to get me there!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hannah at the sewing machine and your story about the pins was very cute. DJD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delightful pictures! How nice the grands were there for the weekend! Can't wait to hear more about the railroad borders and curvaceous curves. Kudos to Hannah and her use of her sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad the blog will now let me reply! This is wonderful, Linda, that you bought the sewing machine prematurely and that Hannah is so good at using it. Cute snowman too! There's always something fun going on at your house. ss

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. 4 years seems a bit young for a sewing machine. Now Hannah looks so 'in charge,' Adorable snowman. Great pictures. NM

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lucky your grands are to have you (and Joe)! Hannah looks so in charge! The grandkids' 'sawed off' snowman is priceless. NM

    ReplyDelete