Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Sweet Dreams: a "sausage" or "tube" pillowcase

    When I joined Quilters' Connection, I kept hearing that BUSY people make pillowcases for gifts, for children and friends. I didn't know that could be fun and FAST. A visit to the City Quilter in NYC introduced me to the sausage/tube pillowcase tutorials on-line and sold me this fabric. I liked the YouTube visuals.

    This afternoon, Susan and I printed on our Gelli plates, but when I got home, I still had enough energy to make this fast pillowcase to surprise son, who is in town to close on his house. He loved super heroes, and was a devoted collector, always improving the manufacturers' costumes to make them more realistic. I hope he enjoys the surprise.


     I first washed the fabrics and watched the tutorials at You Tube. I cut 3/4 yard (27") for the main part (assuming about a 45" width). Most suggest cutting 9" x 45" or so for the cuff. The piping is 2"x 45" or so. Iron the piping and cuff lengthwise down the middle. Open up the 9" cuff and place it face up on the bottom of this pile. Open up the main part and and place it atop, also face up. Next, do not open the 2" piece but align its raw edges with the the other two at the top. All sides should have been trimmed at some point to match. Roll the bottom of the main part toward the pinned top and once it is within the space of the cuff, gently lift the bottom of the cuff over the roll to pin all five raw edges together. Don't pin the roll but you know that if you watched the tutorials. Once pinned carefully, sew carefully. Next, reach inside to pull the tube out either end. Fold right sides together and stitch down one side and the bottom using straight stitch, zig-zag, serge or French seam. Iron to admire. I am making a toddler one tomorrow and I highly recommend. Again, watch the tutorial link in the first paragraph for clarification!

6 comments:

  1. Linda, I love your pillowcase and no doubt your son will love it even more! What neat fabric and what an absolutely fabulous method of making pillow cases! Fast, easy, and FUN. Everyone needs to follow the link to see that You Tube video!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know where you get the energy, but you certainly are a marvel! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So now you've made a second! it is really striking. Yes, Nancy is right: you are a marvel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these pillow cases! The Super Hero one is perfect for your collector son. The directions were/are mind-boggling to me. I will check out that tutorial just for fun. My sewing skills are permanently stuck in the "reattaching buttons stage." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rosemary, I know the directions are mind-boggling without the movie tutorial. But the ones on-line are so good and original sources you will be excited how easy it is to do!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your hands - and BRAIN - just fly as they follow directions CREATIVELY. I love seeing the results. ss

    ReplyDelete