Friday, November 9, 2012

Leftover Clay: Bake some Beads

     Can entertaining children also be productive for the adult? When the grandchildren were here last week, we got out the "pasta" machine and the Sculpey III polymer clay. They loved conditioning the clay by rolling it through the Atlas pasta machine that I received for Christmas 30 years ago. I made pasta once, and now I have made beads twice! After the children went to bed, I took the leftover clay to try to make some beads. Of course, I needed more clay, but I was able to create enough for one pair of earrings and a necklace.
Baked polymer clay beads  (click to enlarge)

      I have a copy of the KLUTZ The Incredible Clay Book which is no longer available. Through Amazon, you can buy the book used, minus the clay, and purchase the Sculpey at a craft store. I recommend a variety package.  I have the pasta maker, a thin clay cutting tool and the package I bought. There are other useful tools, but these put you on your way.

      To see how I made the strained "millefiori" beads, there is this terrific YouTube video by Donna Kato.  Kato has also published some handsome instructive books.

      After creating the beads, I used a toothpick to make a hole. I strung them on a wire, made hooks on the end of the wire to hang from oven racks, and baked them for about 10 minutes in an unused oven. Use a vent and do not sniff! They become hard and lightweight. Then at my beading group, I made earrings, or added other beads to string a necklace. Maybe now I will get serious. There are firmer clays for more professional results. I have worn the earrings twice and the necklace once. Not bad for leftovers. I have wanted to do this for 40 years...now, finally!

7 comments:

  1. Isn't it fine to "finally" get around to it. Sounds like you are having fun in the stormy weather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! It must have been so satisfying to finally get to do something that you have wanted to do for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are lovely. I tried making some beads last summer when my grandkids played with the conditioning machine and with making stuff from that excellent book you recommend, which I was able to buy and it did come with the clay, but I bought more. My beads weren't nearly this pretty. And of course, I don't have the supplies to make earrings or necklaces, etc. But you do and these are really really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandkids are lucky indeed to have you in their lives. I'm continually impressed. God bless you for sharing your talents so generously. Love and admire you greatly, dear Linda. (Still wearing my bracelet!!) RA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, this is fabulous ! I love the look of the earrings and necklace. What pretty colors and designs! I am constantly amazed at your abilities. Your grandchildren are so lucky! My poor grandchildren! ss

    ReplyDelete
  6. The beads are beautiful and as well as original. It is satisfying to complete something you've wanted to do for so long. I hope your grandchildren and you will do this again soon. Well, maybe you need a little rest from entertaining. But keep us posted.
    MN

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I noticed the earrings at the recent QC meeting? Beautiful! How about making some for the Holiday Boutique some day? I'll take two! - Ellen

    ReplyDelete