Monday, October 14, 2013

My Weekend Quilting Binge

     Unfortunately, I missed my trip with the Beadsprouts to NH, so Joe drove me there a few days later to a quilt store I wanted to visit. We hoped to observe colorful leaf activity, but the lakes are what got to me! And the batiks at Keepsake Quilting.

      In the car, I stitched on a world map quilt I just sewed together for the grandchildren. I had put this aside because the world cities blocks side was longer or wider than the panel world continents map side or vice versa. I had to figure out the wild math and cut a mix of blue borders so that I could stitch the sides together to make a quilt. Now I will hand-sew along the printed stitch lines in the design (to the batting on both sides) and let the grandchildren decide what they want to do with it. The piece is colorful and educational.They can do the hand-sewing or I can finish it at a bee.

Click to enlarge photos.


     Keepsake Quilting is only a couple of hours away and there are some neat stops on the way. In the store I found Tonga Treats Table Runner batik squares that make up to a finished size of 16" x 52." That would be the biggest quilt and the most old fashioned quilting I have ever done. I usually make journal quilts and a 12" x 12" is big for me! It would have helped to have had lessons. But I had experience making quickie nine-patch blocks for Katie's Project Hope quilts. I tore into the first blue runner. It has some problems, but daughter in law loves it and feels it is perfect for her new dining room table.


     Artists never give up. I made another runner the next day. Although it was not groomed for its photo, with a little ironing the green one is perfect for my dining room (but only color-wise). I will gift it as well. The fun was in the ease and speed of the craft. According to the directions, you make 4 nine-patch blocks from thirty six 5" batik squares. Next, you cut each of those squares into four equal pieces, cutting horizontally and vertically. You then arrange the blocks into two rows of eight blocks and sew together. You add the 2 1/2" border and sandwich the backing, batting and top. Next, stitch the edges around, turn and hand sew the opening. You can quilt, but they are super without. This project kept me out of Joe's hair while he was grading law papers.

8 comments:

  1. Love the world map. And the cities--what fun just figuring them out and seeing what was in them. I'm ready to go to Barcelona, of course. Love the runners--wouldn't be a quick project for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The map quilt with the cities flip side will be a family treasure. The table runner colors are lush. Your trip to NH was rewarding in many ways. I love them all.
    NM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, impressed with all you've gotten done. The map quilt is great and so good for the kids--they will adore it. And anyone would love those table runners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the table runners! Isn't Keepsake wonderful? I love it there.
    We made it into town this weekend for the pianos! Amanda enjoyed playing on about 5 of them. Lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your project sounds like it was fun to do with an added bonus of being educational. Iris

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew that you would prevail on the table runner quilts! Great job and persistence! You will NEVER guess what I bought fabric for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the world map idea--So clever! I am primarily a visual learner, so it would have stuck in my mind forever if I'd had one back when.
    Love U, my brilliant Linda!
    Ruth Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I missed this one too --- so glad to be seeing it now. WOW! Quite a terrific project... as always, I am impressed.

    ReplyDelete