Monday, August 6, 2012

Crafting puzzles of memories

    I have been gathering ideas for a celebration. There will be some small children at the event to entertain or offer a souvenir. Usually I have markers and paper, but I have been so busy with  photos, slideshows, movies and dvds, that I wanted a photo craft to involve them. Back when I used my darkroom for photography, I made puzzles for children. I would enlarge their photo on black and white thick matte paper and heat bond it to wood. I believe I also have used matte medium brushed on the back of the photo and onto wood to adhere the two together, letting the piece dry for four hours under pressure.

Click to enlarge.
     Today I decided to use a heavy duty spray adhesive since it was sitting in front of me! There is only a one hour wait for adhesion. I got out my camera to show what I first gathered together: my old Dremel scroll saw (my favorite tool of all time that I learned to use in 7th grade), two pieces of l/4"thick plywood the size of the photos (these 9 x 12s are birch and smooth), extra strong spray adhesive. I also grabbed a scrap piece of lattice work to see if I could still cut wood; and I double checked to see that I had plenty of blades. 


      First, I printed two photos on thick paper. Of course in art and craft something always goes wrong. This time, the printer started adding white borders around my photos. Or was the computer setting the problem? Nevertheless, I am forging ahead. Can't waste ink or paper. After I cut these out, I will lay them on cardboard from tablets, and put a clear wrap around...and they should be presented in a ziplock bag to hold the pieces for another round. I hope the puzzles please and inspire the children.
 
      I am back from cutting out the puzzles. I placed them on tablet cardboard. These puzzles are difficult!! I am glad they have white borders to assist the puzzlers, but at the same time entertain them for awhile!

9 comments:

  1. The puzzlers will have a great time--or, rather, great times. You are endlessly surprising me with more great ideas. More than ideas--you do them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trilla is correct. Your imagination has no boundaries! Not only that, but you take an imaginative idea all the way to completion, with no dilly-dallying. What fun the little kids are going to have with these special, custom-designed, puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the puzzle idea! What a delightful gift for your grandchildren. Now, all I need is the talent to do that, and my own table saw. :-) No doubt they will treasure those puzzles! Enjoy celebrating! You are ready to go with delightful treats and surprises for everyone. Happy Anniversary to you two! Can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMAZING. Another fabulous idea and you never cease to amaze me with your use of power tools.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've used a scroll saw since 7th grade? Gosh, what was I doing then? Sewing an apron, I guess. I can't wait to see your pictures of the grandkids doing the puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In Amarillo, in 7th grade, the girls and boys took both shop and homemaking. I have always been grateful for both!

      I just covered the puzzles with a cling wrap and found in that little effort how very difficult the puzzles are to do :*)

      Delete
  6. You are always inspiring and I would love to try this when I am free. First, where does one purchase the scroll saw? Second, HOW does one competently proceed? - pretend your student is mentally challanged - since I likely am!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you Google "scroll saw," you will find many. I have had both Dremel and Craftsman little table saws that saw. After you have mounted a photo to 1/4" plywood with either matte medium or a heavy duty spray and allowed this to dry thoroughly, you should practice cutting puzzle pieces from scrap wood.
      Review the shapes of puzzle pieces. I keep the idea of a 2" puzzle piece in mind as I cut out my first puzzle piece. I proceed from the first corner all around the photo on wood, always hoping to cut a link in one or two sides. Perfection is not attainable for me. I don't mark or plan ahead. I just "do." After one goes around the edge, one is ready to tackle the middle area. Good luck!

      Delete
  7. Wonderful, Linda. The children ( and adults ) will love them. After all your fun work, I have to tell you that I took pictures of the children to Bedford's ( our photography shop ) and they made the puzzles for me that I gave as part of last year's Christmas presents; so for those of us who are NOT as talented as YOU, there are other ways.... but the outcome was in regular puzzle pieces, not wood. sherron

    ReplyDelete