Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day Laborers


Father's Day, Joe pruned the bushes and made frames for the girls' Jackson Pollock-like drip paintings, created in school on canvas. He said it was fun to be making frames again. (Hint hint) He wanted to go to Summer Shack for a family dinner and that was his reward. He braced the backs of the canvas and then put strips of lattice work on the sides.
I helped with the gardening and then threw together the three 12 1/2" blocks I had signed up to do for Katie's Project Hope nautical theme quilt, due in July. I hope to do more. Most people improve as they go along. I think I am getting messier and weirder in my handiwork. Maybe I need to retrieve my old A Type personality. Unfortunately I didn't "measure twice and cut once" and had to come up with a solution. The flags spell both "Play" and "Vote", and were the only words I could come up with from the flag scraps. I need to get back to work!

4 comments:

  1. I think your blocks are perfect! The flags spell out two of the key foci of Project Hope, and the breaching Orca is right in tune with the shell background. Your grandgirls are so cute & talented, and that husband of yours is something special. So glad you all had a great Father's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda! Wow, the first thing I noticed was the totally new look to your blog! I must find out just how you did this. It looks super! Then the post itself: I adore the paintings the girls did and Joe did such a good job framing them. And your charity blocks! Goodness, I had NO idea from your description earlier that they were going to be so eye-catching and snazzy looking! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the girls' artwork. Joe looks so proud. The nautical flags are special. Makes me nostalgic for the girls' adventure books I used to read by women writers from the East Coast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ALL LOVELY - AS ALWAYS --- AND ORIGINAL.

    ReplyDelete