Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Mighty oaks from little acorns might grow....





watercolor/tissue collage
     Mighty oaks from little acorns grow glamorizes what I am up to now. Our little half bath is in desperate need of a dramatic fix. I had no painting to work in the high ceiling and small narrow space. However, it was good fortune that I ran across a little watercolor collage made in the early days of my marriage. Somehow, it made it out out of the smoke and fire damage. I decided to enlarge this little windmill to many times its original size and to do so in oil paint.

      Unfortunately I sketched it in charcoal on to the canvas rather than use a watered down acrylic. I want to finish it in oil, but I first decided to get the basic colors on in acrylic (hiding the charcoal) and then go over it in oils which are so beautiful. However, this means everything will have to be layered again and I may never finish.I like the paint to be beautiful close up, so I have work to do.

large version, acrylic, pre oil
 

two together/oil next
      In the meantime, we again got a real (tall and skinny) tree, and put it up. Target had the dearest hand-made little people and animals on sleds and in little knitted sweaters and hats for only $3 each. I got many. I could never make them in time. I put  wide ribbon on a boxwood wreath from Trader Joe's looking up how to do it online. When we got the boxwood home, we put it in a cold bathtub of water overnight and it almost doubled in fluffiness. Joe is rebuilding his cactus collection. It is fun to be home.


9 comments:

  1. Mistakes are often part of the process on the way to the fun of accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course being a country girl I love windmills - and your windmills fill me with nostalgia as I am going through family materials trying to decide what not to discard. Also I like the simplicity of your wreath.
    NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simple is good now! ...and so is painting the windmill...such fun to dare to climb into the shorter tank for a quick swim

      Delete
  3. Our Christmas Tree is an artificial one, but it's so well-made that is looks "REAL"! We bought a Santa Claus holding a candle ornament several years ago that's a part of the light string. All we have to do is blow on the candle either to turn the chain of lights on or off! AND, all around the top of the tree are the small,colorful,
    fragile ornaments that we bought at a store in New Haven, CT, when Butch was at YDS! We'll talk to our family in Lawrence, KS - Mark - born when we were in New Haven, Susan, Andrew, & Thomas Henderson, & we'll spend part of the day with Maria, Eric, Zac, Claire - named after our Claire who died not long after we moved to Claremont,& Luke Tucker who live in Claremont. Maria was born in Lawrence, when Butch was the Senior Pastor at Plymouth Church, Congregational, before we moved to Claremont, CA. Much love to ALL of you, Rosemary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always enjoy hearing about your Xmases and special ornament collection while remembering our good times in New Haven.

      Delete
  4. Mistakes often are good beginnings. True in writing too, when the plot takes an unexpected turn--or am I discussing life?

    Love the windmill. Home on the plains with the everblowing wind and an endless horizon. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I do wish I could ever write a story to have a plot or character take an unexpected turn...will have to be satisfied with life surprises.
      The windmill has many possibilities, n'est ce pas?

      Delete
  5. Have I seen a close-up of your little people that you bought at Target? That rings a bell, but I want to see it again! I LOVE how your living room looks, love your "real "skinny tree (like Rosemary we've had an artificial tree for years, thanks to Rob's asthma and mine!), and I've complimented you on the attractive chairs. And now the windmill painting--excellent! As always, such a good post, so newsy and love all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to direct you to the Target site but I see most figures are no longer available. The Winter Snow kids and a few outfits are, but the ones I loved have been snapped up. So glad I was there early.

    ReplyDelete