Monday, August 23, 2010

Vacation Vagaries

   Back in the late 60's or 70's when people were leaving the cities or rat race as it was sometimes called and moving to the country, we left the country to move to the cities. This past week when Joe and I and Farley were trying to go to the city for a vacation, packing twice for the Big Apple, for various reasons we felt we had to change our minds to return to nature. To be so different, both Joe and I are vascillators. We hate to plan ahead and to be bound. We like caprice, whimsy, turning on a dime. We oscillate, fluctuate and shilly-shally; and that is what this journal quilt is about and it shows a lack of planning but that is part of the story. Also, I am determined to post one once a week and I am a day late, hence an even greater than usual lack of perfection. We did a little museuming at the MFA to purchase catalogs for the NYC show we would miss, but got to the ocean, the river and walked the ponds. I hope the diary sketch expresses this.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe it runs in the family; I shilly-shally, too. I think you had a lovely weekend anyway. That picture, by Serat? is one of my favorite. The contrast with the background is very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The journal quilt certainly captures your week and your yes/no decision process about your trip to NYC. You all will go when it feels right. Then you'll enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my very favorites, which should not come as a surprise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I removed my first b/c of a typo! I said in it that I am a dilly-dallier but not a shilly-shallier. THAT sounded like such a good title for a post, that I will wait to explain (if I need to do so!) for a future post for myself. Anyway, am dying to know where you got the central image. Is it fabric? If so, IS there a fabric print of "great works of art"??? If so, how fabulous, and I must have it! Love the symbolism of the city scene on top of the grassy print and then the country scene atop the city print. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Linda,
    Love your blog and so pleased you are continuing the journal quilting. Great to see your creative work in fabric, I too love that Seurat fabric in the last piece. And I too want to know if it is a fabric and where can I get it, in the southern hemisphere that is....?
    So good to have found you. Geri. (The 'lively Australian'!)

    ReplyDelete