For Lorie's 12 hexagon ball, I used a pencil to mark each side 1/4" from all the five sides, stopping 1/4" from each edge! I did not pin or use papers, but was careful in the stitching (wrong sides together. The two sides of the ball came together fast, except I made a big mistake to the children's great amusement. In sewing the two halves of the ball together. I misplaced the points and as I stuffed it with fiberfill, the ball turned out to be a star. I was glad the fabric had stars. Quickly, I made another easy soccer ball.
How to make the baseball! On to print a pattern for the baseball and stitching technique, again finding both on-line. I used fleece and a crochet thread. It helped to mark the holes 1/4" from the sides and use a curved needle. I used Hub Pages for a terrific baseball pattern and then searched for another sewing stitch. Maribel was clever to find one example at an aviation manual site. There are several versions on line. Typically, I did the opposite. I sewed from top down everywhere Maribel goes from bottom up. Hannah caught on immediately and we shared a big laugh when I demonstrated the stitch sewing the two ends of the fabric together...No, she finally convinced me, they have to be placed ends to centers to make a ball.
The journal quilts speak for themselves. The bird quilt was collaged. I chose the striped fabric and spray-glued the birds, leaves and stars to attach, finally, with a machine blanket stitch and invisible thread. The backing is the same stripe, folded over on the edges and hand sewn for a border.
The second one is a fragment of a grandmother's garden quilt I found from my grandmother. I appliqued the hexagons! onto a more modern fabric. The hand-sewn hexagons were so sad and worn looking I added white rik-rak cheer up the piece. I used muslin under the batting and left the sides unfinished with a pinking shear edge. It was a UFO, unfinished object in Big Mom's chest. I am so glad to have this memory.
I made another bird in her chosen colors to take to Hannah the evening of her violin recital. I used a hot glue gun to attach the bird to the branch.
Hooray... I just figured how to re-enable my Comment section after losing it.