Saturday, March 24, 2012

Hannah's birthday card: quilted and digital

      Hannah has a birthday coming up and I like to prepare ahead. First I printed a birthday card on the computer using Comic Life software; and then I printed the same photo onto a printable fabric. She should have quite a stack of both Comic Life cards and quilted pieces by now!

 click photos to enlarge.
   Making the quilted card is somewhat like creating a journal quilt. One thinks of the main idea to communicate. This year Hannah is a nut about reading and always has a book in her hand. That had to be the theme.

      I ordinarily choose a fabric for the background and build on that, but this time I held the print  next to my stash to see what colors looked good with it. I sewed them, and cut batting and backside. For the backside I chose sheets of music since Hannah was back to piano lessons. I ironed some strips left over from another project, glued them on the edges and used a satin stitch to secure. 

      The quilt was finished but I just kept adding on anything that was in reach...gold rick rack, free motion writing, ribbon. You are supposed to quilt BEFORE adding on the binding but that didn't stop me. I may still return with that gold puff paint and sprinkled gold beads. I will try to restrain myself. I also learned how beautiful batiks are with contrasts.

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Linda, I am so envious of your ability to make these beautiful birthday quilts. I have two grandaughters who will soon have birthdays. Dare I try one or two ---two for two grandaughters ??? Hannah will love this personal "card" you made! ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delightful! -Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect...Hannah will love and cherish this, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! As you know, I am wild about batiks. This turned out beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hannah is such a mature eight! The card is beautiful and I love the music print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really beautiful and so special for Hannah. KB-B

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are vastly clever and talented. She is a lucky little girl with everlasting memories she can see and touch.
    I love it. RAH

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. I'm sure Hannah will love it also. How did you do the letters? ~ ES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On the quilt, I free-motion stitch with the sewing machine and it looks it! I don't have the patience to draw the letters first and I like the handmade look. On the digital card, I use the software Comic Life and it has a many choices for letters. THis software is nexpensive and I use it for all sorts of things. I can't recommend it enough! Thanx for your comments!

      Delete
  9. What a treat for Hannah and what wonderful gifts to savor & keep! Every time she looks at them through the years, she will see the perceptive, right-on themes and feel again the love that led her talented grandmother to stitch & print and create these beautiful cards just for her.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What fun!!! Hannah is very lucky to have you!! JDC

    ReplyDelete