Monday, March 19, 2012

Fabric Postcards Revisited

    Recently my childhood friends "rounded up" ourselves to meet in Amarillo, TX. A grand time ensued. Sadly, we recently lost a special one of ours; and I asked that the Order of Service for the memorial service be sent to me. I wanted to respond with a thank you note to friends who followed up.


     I wanted to make a fabric postcard differently from how I have in the past. (Type in "fabric postcard" in the search area by the Blogger "B" to see other methods.) I ironed Wonder Under that I get at JoAnn's Fabric to the tears and to the batik for the binding. I cut out strips of binding in 1" widths and folded them to 1/2", finger pressing with the paper on. I cut out the sky fabric, the blue "roundup" rope fabric, and the sky backing to size 4" x 6" which is U.S. postcard size. I did not even pin them together but ironed on the binding, top and bottom, then sides. I press about ten seconds to each side. Then I stitched around.


    Next I stamped "Postcard" on the cloud side and ironed on the tears fabric to one side, hearts on the other. I should have sewed these on first. I double secured them with gold puff paint on their edges that will take 24 hours to dry well. I used a hair dryer to make them workable or manageable. Now all I have to add is the addresses using a gel marker, finger press on a postage stamp, and deliver for hand-canceling at the USPost Office.
      

6 comments:

  1. Fun idea, Linda - sad occasion, but a lovely "thank you" to friends. ss

    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful and thoughtful, Linda. You've created a treasure for all of you to keep.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect all ways. Tangible love and sorrow. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Linda, the symbolism is so poignant and your choices of color beautiful. What a lovely rememberance for all of your friends to have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love them. Such a nice keepsake. ND

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very beautiful in both thought and design! DJD

    ReplyDelete