Friday, March 25, 2011

Friday Fun: back to painting

click to enlarge if you dare
   Yesterday I got my eyelid stitches out (too much sun as a child);  and today I decided to make a journal quilt with myself as pirate. I had to paint myself on fabric, but I haven't depicted myself in a long time, I am so easily distracted and excited by contemporary happenings in the quilt world.

    With a fresh eye, I realized if you paint yourself, looking in a mirror, your fabric should be at the same angle as the mirror, on an easel or equivalent. My canvas was on the table so I looked as if I had mumps. Using Lumiere acrylic jpaints, I grabbed the opague white to mix in with the other colors to narrow my face but I still look like a chipmunk. Also, I hopelessly bouffant my hair. I started out w a Sharpie Rub a Dub pen and sketched on the fabric a couple of noses and lips and chins. They may show through in the future. I have made so many self portraits in the past, I was not humble enough to make preliminary sketches and it shows.  In the end, I was so glad to be rid of the patch, I left it off! And I had a lot of fun painting, regardless the results!
     Now off to make the quilt, maybe with a patch that lifts up.

8 comments:

  1. I love the idea of a journal quilt with a patch that flips up! That would be clever. I've already told you in email and in person how much I like this painting and how envious I am of you for your ability to capture an image so quickly in pencil, pen, or paint. Some people claim that "anyone" can learn to draw; I am skeptical. My own drawing "skills" stagnated at about age 8 or younger, I think, and now my 10 year old granddaughter can draw far better than I!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A patch that lifts would be great! Can't wait to see what you do. I think this is a very good self-portrait. By including the shots from your computer's camera, we can all see the progress of your healing. Continue to treat yourself and your eye gently. You want everything to be in ideal working order.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honestly, I like your journal quilt as is, full face, bouffant and all. No portrait should be entirely realistic. Your photographs are a delight. Love the turn of your head in the first snapshot and the straight forward gaze of your second pirate photo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ditto what Nancy said about your portrait-journal quilt -- also what Alice said about the ability to draw. I JUST DON'T HAVE IT!!! Rosemary finished out the thought process for me when she mentioned the fun of seeing a lifting eye patch but also the graceful progress of your healing...and, YES, we "want everything to be in ideal working order." You have done ALL beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The next time the Lynnists get together I will show you you can draw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let's get together ! I can hardly wait !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohhh, am glad I came here to see how you had "tweaked" this portrait! I like it mucho. And the idea of Lynnists getting together and your giving us drawing lessons = great fun! We need to plan a specific time, as we did before. And with none of us working, we could do it anytime. We'll chat some more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking AGAIN at your tweaked self. Maybe you are not as red in real life as you are in this revitalized drawing. Actually, in this latest one, you look like you are about to explode --- but I still like it a lot :).

    ReplyDelete