Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Catch-up Cards: more fabric postcards

    After making pumpkin muffins for the grandchildren who dropped off grand dog for boarding, I pulled out my fabrics to catch-up on some surprise correspondence. I wanted to send Charlie Brown raking leaves to the relatives to remind them they left here too soon. The leaves are finally turning colors and dropping. (We sometimes feel like Charlie in that all the leaves on the block blow to our house.)

Fronts, backs and batting or felt are cut to 4 1/2" x 6 1/2."
      While I had the stash out, I wanted to thank our hostess for our Maine send-off dinner. A second lobster fabric card would go to old Maine friends who hosted us there 40 years ago whom I thought we might have bumped into at the Owl's Head Museum auto show.
Finished postcards are 4" x 6." (Click to enlarge)

     After I have surprised everyone I know with a single fabric postcard, I am going to have to learn some new tricks or come up with more amazing cards! I was humbled in this task when I realized you could Google any subject and add "blog" as in "fabric postcard blog" or "quilted postcard blog"  to turn up astonishing viewings and tutorials. I also learned that there are sites to have a blog critiqued.

    Now to address, write (with gel pen) and take to the PO to be hand-cancelled.
  

7 comments:

  1. Love the Peanuts fabrics and the lobster. How perfect! Thanks, too, for the info about sites that critique blogs AND the tutorials. I'm learning so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am making my way through a small book called The Rough Guide to Blogging by Jonathan Yang on navigating the blogosphere. I picked it up in the library and it has lots of ideas new to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these cards! I especially like the way you blanket stiched a motif on the message part of the card; very clever and effective! Perhaps the grandkids and I can make some fabric postcards while I'm here in CA. Wish I had thought to bring some appropriate fabric, and I even bought a great fat quarter before I left TX with super Halloween motifs, but didn't think to bring it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had planned to use a decorative machine stitch on the final edge of the card and forgot! Usually have a birthday cupcake where Snoopy and the bubble are now. There is enough room for a short message.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Charlie Brown/falling leaves fabric is quite appropriate. The little pumpkin you used to set it off with is clever. I'm going out this PM to look for fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eager to see your first fabric postcard!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute - cute - cute. Peanuts is my favorite cartoon .

    ReplyDelete