Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Sew and No-Sew Fabric Postcards

My friends are determined to age me, celebrating my birthday a month ahead, in some cases. Alice mailed Quilters Playtime: Games with Fabrics by Dianne S. Hire and I decided to send her a quilted postcard thank-you note. I had bought a used copy of Postcard Quilts by Caroline Reardon at the Quilter's Connection guild meeting and found videos and how-to's by Googling "fabric postcard quilts." I quickly made Alice a soft postcard, 4" x 6" using a pillowcasetechnique and a flannel padding. I was so excited I mailed it off without taking a photo. Truth is, at the time I felt it was sort of pitiful, but it is the thought that counts. The Post Office said it was thin enough and small enough to cost only postcard rates. Everything else I read said that for hand-canceling, one would pay a pinch more than regularpostage. I will post a picture Alice mails if and when the card arrives in Waco TX, so check back. Ahh! Here it is:
Yesterday, I made 5 fabric no-sew postcards, one for each person in our beading group who treated Nita and me to our July 20th birthdays early. All of us summer born know what happens to people in the summer!! This time I use a firmer stiffener, TimTex, in the center, w sticky on both sides. I bound the edges with fused strips of 3/4" x 7" strips cut to fit (do short sides first). Although it doesn't show up well in the photo, I used a non-bleeding gel pen to write with. The PO people liked the second cards better. I preferred the softie. I will attempt both kinds again. All fabric stores can show you the various stiffeners and explain the quilting possibilities and problems. I put self-adhesive first class stamps on these at 4 1/2" x 6 1/2" and rubbed the stamps in. The PO helper put a pretty hand-cancellation stamp on them. She said they would arrive! (and they did...the next day, in great shape)

8 comments:

  1. Linda, I think these fabric postcards are simply charming. And it is so amazing that I came within an inch of buying the same girly fabric with all sorts of handbags just today! I love the way the binding looks. You must email me how to do that adhesive type. I am a slow learner verbally and must read and see before I "catch on" to a new technique! Congrats--I'll bet the beaders loved these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just went through my packages of items bought today. Guess what! I had ended up buying, after all, a fat quarter of the purses fabric and it is NOT like yours. Actually, I like yours better, as it has a better variety of all things girls like than does mine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing to the adhesive binding. For each postcard, laminate something like Wonder Under or Stitchwitchery to the underside of 3" x 7" fabric. Remove the protective paper and cut the piece into 3/4" x 7" strips. That makes 4 strips. Fold each strip in half, lengthwise (fingerpress). Place the strips, one at a time, firmly against a side, starting with the short sides first. Press down, one side at a time.Clip to fit. Then do the long sides.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it all looks good to me. I'm in awe of people who can sew, quilt and bead. Now to apply that to postcards - hard to believe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Linda, that does sound easy! How I wish I'd done that for the little postcard that's winging its way right now to you! As you will see, my binding is truly pitifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The postcards are absolutely phenomenal! Who would have thought that such could be done? The purse fabric is perfect and makes such a special card. Love the cupcake with the cherry. What a treat and treasured keepsake for your friends. I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, so cute and well done - as I emailed you when I saw the larger photos of these clever postcards. Nice picture of you and your friend too -

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your postcard for Alice. The spools of thread, the yummy looking cupcake, the border around the cc. Are those beads?

    ReplyDelete