Wednesday, October 4, 2023

On the Move Again

    It was a surprise to find Joe and I have moved 12 times and this is #13. Thirteen is the family lucky number. Downsizing is a challenge but the sons are happy to see us off to Brookhaven@Lexington. We are hustling like young marrieds planning a first home. But what will I do with all my big paintings that I could never part with. I await your solutions! Especially the last floor to ceiling one!

One of the exciting finds in sorting papers, was written by whom I do not know. I scribbled it in longhand and then typed it for legibilty. I thought it so articulate and nice as a review and hoped someone could identify the writer:

“ Having just written on Post-Modern art, it’s gratifying to be hit with a web page so emphatically displaying it. Linda is very much AWARE of past art and artists but is never bound by them. She celebrates them wo worshiping them either in terms of style or content. In fact, it would appear that in many cases, she, herself, IS the content. Her work has the added appeal that it is sharp wo ever being harsh. It is strong, wo being exploitive, and it is striking wo doting on past definitions of beauty. And her sense of humor is rich wo being cute or even funny. One might call it an acute sense of the absurd. I guess I’d have to say it is okay. No, seriously, I was quite impressed.”  [lindahicksweb.com]





















8 comments:

  1. Fabulous! Maybe Brookhaven would love to have your paintings in their community rooms and halls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly too big and too “far out” haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, lots of amazing paintings! Now I think you understand why I lay awake wondering what to do with all the quilts I have displayed in our house! My idea of doing a "lottery" amongst all my various nieces and nephews, and eventually including the closest women friends of Kathy and Susan, has relieved my mind greatly! I do think that some of these you can take with you to enhance your new apartment. As for the others, why not ask your three grandchildren which one or ones they'd like eventually to inherit? Then you could put them in storage (I'm sure your new place has resident storage) with each one clearly marked as to who will get which. I am fortunate to have such a goodly number of nieces and nephews and now great nieces and nephews and that I am close to all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda- talent and humor both seen in your paintings- plus the fact that you are in the midst makes it ideal to keep these in your family… and some decorating your new abode too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another new adventure! Enjoy! And don't hurry. We made our "senior" move in April and we haven't finished yet. We keep finding treasures we'd tucked away for 'someday.' Someday is now.

    For me. The hardest to give away is books. But I'm making up for it. 1) walking distance to the library, and 2) I'm just home from the used book sale the library is having today. I filled up a shopping bag. Guess what I'm doing tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, your painting style is awesome. I love seeing them. I think you should offer at least one of them to your new residence. They are not “too far out” for today’s senior residents. When we were in an apartment at a senior center, they featured a resident artist about every 2 months. You may find a similar situation at your new home regardless, please don’t get rid CB of them! They do indeed belong in your family! ❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you were able to spend some time in the "old home" after that fire but time for new digs - an adventure indeed! I agree - don't "deep six" any original artwork. Your paintings are amazing - I love your portrait as Medusa! Please send me you new address - we have honey for you and Joe - Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  8. "Having just written on Post-Modern aart, it's gratifying to be hit with a web page so emphatically displaying it. Linda is very much AWARE of past art and artists but is never bound by them. She celebrates them wo worshiping them either in terms of style or content. In fact, it would appear that in many cases, she, herself, IS the content. Her work has the added appeal that it is sharp wo ever being harsh. It is strong, wo being exploitive, and it is striking wo doting on past definitions of beauty. And her sense of humor is rich wo being cute or even funny. One might call it an acute sense of the absurd. I guess I'd have to say it is okay. No, seriously, I was quite impressed."

    ReplyDelete