Friday, June 29, 2018

My Art Month while the sun shines

     The sun is out and the grandchildren are off at camp after year- end concerts, graduation and birthdays. I still found time to get Joe to frame the Kitchen Still Life for the CAA Still Life: Captured Moments show in Harvard Square.Unfinished, the painting was hanging in the laundry room with other circular activity, a perfect fit. Today I saw it hanging in the big entrance hall at University Place, minus a label. The reception is July 12. I like it there!

        Settling in, my frame-making husband every day finds time to mow through books between plantings in the garden. His book club got him back to reading ravenously.I also am picking up some more books to research and read.I am excitedly awaiting the July 10 release of Van Gogh and Japan which I have heard so much about from Joyce whom I met at an Apple Procreate class. She is 85 and just flew to Amsterdam for 3 days to see the show about the major influence of the Japanese prints in Van Gogh's development in Arles.Research that show!

      In the meantime, I have started on Modernists & Mavericks by Martin Gayford and am really enjoying it. He talks about the London Painters whose work I know and what they were thinking and doing as they struggled to paint. Provocative. Just for fun, I wanted to read Old in Art School by Nell Painter just because she did later what I did at age 50, take off for art school. I am reading several others at the same time.

      I continue to add to my art book collection much of which I lost with the fire. A local library is a good source, in that Friends of the Library donate books which can be bought for special prices. This benefits scavenger me and the library.There are always surprise discoveries. I read between evening efforts  to salvage that painting of the Southwest I talked about last month. Belmont Gallery of Art  has an upcoming show of paintings inspired by music: Rhythm and Hues.I hope to enter three paintings. Ever hopeful.




   

11 comments:

  1. I join you in the read, read, read activity--I'm even rereading some Louisa May Alcott--'way different when I read it as a grown-up! Killers of the Flower Moon is great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea about Alcott...titles other than Little Women...enough to get me out to her home in Concord again. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I love the kitchen still life. Love all the many surfaces. Is that your neighbor's house shown through the window? I am floored by all the books you have lined up to read.
    NM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my neighbor's house out the window. I started this before the fire a year ago. Ah more time to read!

      Delete
  3. Linda, thanks for posting these on your Blog so that I could see all that you've recently been doing in Drawing Time on Friday, June 29, 2018. The nice thing is that I'm able to see the things that you post on your Blog in color here in Claremont, California, where Butch and I live in Pilgrim Place, a community for people who've been involved not only in Churches or Convents or Non-Profit Work, but also in Colleges and Universities. It's such a treat for me to be able to continue to connect with you via your Blog! Sent with good memories and my warmest regards to You & Joe, Rosemary Henderson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't you correct about the joy of the Internet and even Facebook and Blogs...to find and keep up with old friends. Sweet times we had in New Haven. Pilgrim Place is fabulous from what you have told me!

      Delete
  4. Linda, I've never seen the kitchen still life, have I? I love it! And what a good idea, to take photos of the books that you're reading or have read. The old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" is totally applicable here! I admire you for being able to read several books at once. Bob does this, and right now I am trying to do it! I heard that reading on "devices" such phones and Kindles isn't conducive to good sleep, so I try to read on my Kindle during the day and then a "real" book at night! It's amazing to me that you have so much time to read and at the same time manage to produce paintings as wonderful as this kitchen still life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alice! Joe squeezes every second out of a day reading...I would like to but I am wayward. Good idea about the real book at night. That works. I read on the iPhone waiting somewhere.

      Delete
  5. What can I add? I am fascinated by your still life - the blue hues like Van Gogh ( I think). I too love your pictures of the books you are reading. I'm in three book clubs right now but have a hard time keeping up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The kitchen still life is wonderful! I just can't even begin to imagine how you can paint the transparent images!

    ReplyDelete