Saturday, April 29, 2017

Sun is shining in Boston

       The sun is finally out in Boston. The house is moving along...walls up, floors going back down, cabinets being installed, wall plastering + painting happening and the counters soon to be laid out. The choosing of wall colors shouldn't keep me awake for 4 or 5 days; but to get back to sleep, I enjoyed reading, over the past months, Bad Boy by Eric Fischl, the painter, to get a better understanding of the NY art world and the life of a professional artist today. I finished The Underground Railroad and appreciated the magical realism. I visited Appalachia with Hillbilly Elegy. I am glad the author is returning home to help. After finally finishing A Gentleman in Moscow, I think I may try Red Notice, a non-fiction thriller set in Russia that Joe enjoyed and will look at Dark Money he told me about.


       But I did not paint a bit all month, so wrapped up in 7/24 decisions on the house, while it rained outside. I hope I don't forget how! Nor did I exercise that much.  This 2008 self-portrait w black eye expresses my disappointment in not having new work to show in my blog. All the time I was thinking...just one painting or drawing a day! At least I didn't miss blogging in April.

       I have certainly been "into" color, looking at Benjamin Moore samples and others sent from Sherwin Williams, learning about the other new paint companies. I have read many new blogs on decorating, scanned books sent by Alice, and observed Laura down on my rugs scrutinizing ideas for color. Keith Smith at Foote in Brighton chose colors for me w thoughtful service you thought no longer existed. Jean and Alice worked to confirm some decisions. One never gets over the first painting mistakes one made when first married. I love advice! Decision tomorrow.

      I won't carry on further, but I just discovered myself in a subway painting by the remarkable Paula Pitman Brown (one t) up at PPB's Facebook page. Look at what is in her backpack for student still lifes and more! I took a screenshot of it so you can visit her website to see her amazing output. A teacher at the Boston MFA, Paula has Open Studio in Needham next weekend at 80 Norwich Road. Always worth a visit!



12 comments:

  1. Loved reading this. What fun to see yourself in a painting! It's been fun being a decorating consultant. Good distraction for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be great to see your post showing that you are finally painting again. AND, how neat that you discovered yourself in this particular painting! So glad that your "better than new" house is almost ready for the two of you, the rest of your family, and your good friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blog. You have certainly had an active month, even without painting. You are obviously a fast reader and have made exciting house decisions, which will cause your house to live well and to sell well when the time comes. - I love the white you have chosen because colors of your paintings etc. go so well on a white background. Carry on, my friend. Sherron

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha...not in five days, the reading...over the last sleepless month!

      Delete
    2. I edited the blog to say "over the past months" and forgot to add a reread of The Nightingale for book club at our temporary housing.

      Delete
  4. People are saying they cannot comment w or wo a Google Account and not at Anonymous any more...only if they mail to me. Google owns the blog...not sure if they know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem, from my little research, may be that the browsers need modernizing or up-dating...help on a variety of browsers at http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/config/EnableCookie.htm
      Not sure you want to.

      Delete
  5. Paula Brown gorgeous portrait! Love all the colors!!!!! All the colors around glassses..wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy Webster Keleher Love your mind boggling creations

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lanelle Taylor Ah yes1 We love to see you in the sun! PawPaw

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Paula's subway painting - a whole story of humankind in her cloak. Best of all, you peering over her shoulder!
    NM

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy that progress is being made on your home! DJDowner

    ReplyDelete