Saturday, November 26, 2016

After the fire!

     Life is full of surprises. Who would have thought at age 77 our house, packed with art collections, books and crafts, would catch fire at the fuse box, wiping out my studio and art supplies...smoke ruining most of the rest of the house. A life lost?

      Hopefully life goes on down an unexpected path, one of opportunities. Many stressful challenges and decisions ahead. I am not sure I want to make art about the fire. I bought canvas and paint yesterday. Do I repaint the pic that was vaporized? Or what about the one I found inspired by Bochlin and had not finished. I am thinking about Matisse who said, "What I dream of is an art of balance, of purity and serenity, devoid of troubling or depressing subject-matter, an art which could be for every mental worker, for the businessman as well as the man of letters, for example, a soothing, calming influence on the mind, something like a good armchair which provides relaxation from physical fatigue."

     My present studio for a year is between the dining room area and the living area and the kitchen. Paul Klee painted at his kitchen table. Hopefully I will rise to the occasion. I will have to be neat until the house is restored. The blog posting is one step forward.














10 comments:

  1. I admire your ability to post this blog, Linda. I am so glad you have a place to paint. It must be comforting to know that you can continue with something you have such a talent for! That space where you and Joe have your computers looks like a wonderful area for you both to be together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually glad finally to see how you now have your "studio" set up after the fire. Since your computer room was spared from too much damage, now you'll be where you can do both - paint and send emails and post to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Love your apartment! So spacious. I think you'll be inspired by this experience to paint again. Rest a bit and let the vibes sink in like brown sugar sauce on ham. Love the Matisse quotation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unexpected adventures often are the best! I'll be sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A superb blog post! Loved seeing the beautiful pix of your new but temporary home. Loved seeing where you'll be doing your art. Loved that superb quotation from Matisse. That'll be a keeper for me. I need those words!

      Delete
  5. Oh Linda! I had no idea this had happened. I'm so sorry that you are going through this but I'm happy to see your new beautiful space. I hope it proves to be an inspirational space for you. Sending good thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I am shocked to hear that you and your husband have gone through such a heart-breaking experience. I am so sorry. And I am inspired by your ability to share with us your courage and your positive outlook. I am thinking of you and missing you at QC. I hope that you follow the words of Matisse with your painting. I believe you already have with your post. -Deb

    ReplyDelete